Wednesday, August 09, 2006

The Shamylan Kids Must Have Really Freaky Dreams: Lady in the Water fantastical bedtime story


At last, after all of my friends bailed on me, and I was about to go alone to the movies, my mom pulled through and accompanied me to see my most anticipated film of the summer. After everyone saw it first, and told me day after day how absolutely horrible it is, I am extremely glad that I did not heed their warnings, because, I must say, I loved it!

Master of para-normalities, M. Night Shyamalan, created a fantastical bed-time story, Lady in the Water, which unfortunately suffered from horrible marketing. Anyone who did a little research on the film knew that this story is based on a bed-time story he told his children, not the twisty horror film the trailers suggest. Anyone going in expecting to be scared, shocked at the ending or expecting another Sixth Sense would have been horribly, horribly dissapointed. Anyone going in expecting a fantastical, magical, wacky, hard to believe, make believe fairy-tale would have been very pleased with what they saw.

With that in mind, this film was slightly over-ambitious and didn't quite reach expectations. It was trying way too hard to be a poiniant adult fairytale, and fell short over and over again. The film asks the audience to suspend their disbelief and just accept some things that are very hard to accept. Things happen, people are given special tasks or powers, that just seem improbable, which makes it even harder to get into. I still did enjoy this film, though on a later second viewing, I became much more aware of its faults and flaws. Definitely worth seeing for the Shamylan fan, but not one of his top achievements.
OVERALL GRADE: C+

1 comment:

Chris said...

the Shamylan kids must have really boring dreams...